Sunday, May 24, 2009

Slackness

Well, it's been a really long week, but a number of loose ends are finally being tied up, including possibly with my ticketing... whew!

Went into town for my language lesson, today, but our teacher didn't show up, so ended up entertaining myself by creating my own "practice" time. Then, towards the end, I went and sat with the advanced class teacher and got her input on a few grammatical things, which was rather swell, because she was able to answer my exact questions -- which can't always be done with our one teacher in our 5-man beginners' group -- and I was able to ask stuff outside the textbook. I don't have the grammar thing down, because we haven't dug into anything in that way... Initially, I didn't want to learn any characters, because I was having a hard enough time remembering sounds and vocabulary, I didn't think I could also memorize characters. But I do see the wisdom in learning it that way, rather than associating it with our alphabet and sounds. It's a totally different language concept: my rudimentary understanding and perspective is that it deals with concepts -- which, actually, seem to be a lot more fluid -- rather than exact words. I'm sure that doesn't make sense, but it does to me, heheh. I'm already understanding some words here and there when people use them... nothing sticks, though, unless I use it a lot, so just absorbing and memorizing can only go so far... Well, guess there's nothing to do, at this point, but keep attending and hope it's all getting and staying somewhere in the brain. :)

Oh, yeah, and I also had the revelation, recently, that I'll probably do much better at understanding, rather than actually speaking. I have a hard time expressing myself in speech in English, as it is, in Portuguese, even worse, even though I understand everything and my grammar is pretty fine. Expressing things just doesn't seem to be my forte with languages, but if I can at least get the understanding part down, basic expressing will come with time, I guess, heh.

Okay, so... even though all you see on this'ere blog is mostly silliness, we're actually quite busy. Which is probably why all I post about is foolishness (if that's at all logical). This month, we've been working on finalizing all the 2009 Christmas products, which has been a huge job and not without its setbacks. Well, I've come to expect setbacks and glitches -- so much so that, when a print job goes through from beginning to end without a glitch, I will be entirely shocked -- so shocked, I might even die from the fright. :D No, but really, problems will arise, so when they pop up, I'm not even surprised anymore... Just keep plodding along with the tasks, correct the problems, come up with ways to avoid them next time, accept them if they're inevitable, move on and keep forging ahead. :) It's all good...

I was just holding Shoba for the last 2/3 of a movie that was on in the living room and that must've been a pretty long time, because now it feels like something's missing (from my arms). Awww... Shobarrreebee...

Okay. Must. Sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment