We may call it Chinese, but in this case, it's Mandarin, specifically.
Ah, well... long story... I've been here over a year... I should know something of the language... I don't remember anything I don't use... I'm surrounded by non-speakers...
But I've decided that, for the remainder of my time, here, I need to cram in as much language-learning as I can. Realistically, I could spend years just studying and still be far from fluent, but I'm determined to come away with a bit more than I currently have, which is a feat that can't help but be accomplished. :D
I don't want to learn reading/writing, because I feel it would be a waste of any learning time... I wouldn't learn enough anyway, so just want some language/vocabulary, to know more of that more good-er... but they always start off teaching you the child's version of the reading/writing and take you from there... that really doesn't go according to my desires, but it seems to be the approach of this one study option (free, 3 nights a week, 2 hours at a time, 1 hour "travel" time there and back). I'm a little skeptical re: any real progress being made in so little time (from now, till I leave), but it largely depends on the teacher(s)... will see how it goes... will also be exhausted. Suddenly, I feel way too Taiwanese for my pants. They work way too hard... hours are way too long... and "work" may be either actual work or study or what have you... anything besides relaxing. When do these people relax?! My long-term project will be "to aid in relaxing". :D
In any case...
If I sit in on enough of these classes, something's bound to stick (?). The teachers babble on in Mandarin only, and although I don't understand a thing, maybe at least proper pronunciation will be subconsciously absorbed, the complication of the tones being what they are. I get a lot more of what's being said by interpreting people's actions and expressions, here... they use their actions and expressions a lot, it's pretty interesting... they talk with their hands and face, but it says a lot more -- well, in an entirely different way -- than Italian gesturing does... Like... I could figure out what's going on just by watching how they're expressing it... Or maybe I'm just really intiuitive, harhar. Doubt it, but whatever it may be, it's much easier for me to figure out what's going on by what's not being said than what's being said that I don't understand.
Good talk.
Anywaaay... besides these evening classes, I might also start attending 1.5 hours of classes on Saturdays (plus 1.5 hours travel time). I'm guessing these classes will be much more to my liking, as I might be able to get the teacher to teach me what I want: that is, conversation and vocabulary and grammar, ehe. But I'll have to pay a little something for these classes, so they'll need to be very worth it. :)
Total financial investment in classes, so far: pencil, eraser, pen. Gasp! It was quite an investment. In consequence, I plan to take it seriously, to make my investment well worth it. :) Well, transportation will start to add up, as will fees, minimal as they may be.
I also plan to have as much "language exchange" (you practice your English with me, I try to learn your Chinese) as I can swing... have already been propositioned by the Buddhist master (lady)... and may be able to get some time in with the kid I used to tutor...
Why, you may ask? Why even try to learn this language?
Well, besides the embarrassment of having been somewhere and not knowing any of the language, I also think that Chinese language and culture are an important part of the present and upcoming world. I don't have specific plans for use of my Chinese-y-ness, but it'll come in handy, some day, you'll see! The culture here is sooo different from anything we're used to... even from other Asian countries... If I can "get" any of this Chinese culture thing, I think that'll be another boon, in future, with the direction things are going and all...
Anyway, if nothing else, at least it's a good goal in the "skills/knowledge" department, something I wouldn't be able to do anywhere else. Okay? Okay. :)
Since I'll probably be pretty engrossed in learning, from today's class on, I'll try to keep track of what I do, Chinse language/culture-related, for my future reference and for anyone who wants to get a general idea how it goes...
Friday, September 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Now, now, Ange, you should be more thankful - look at all this quality time you get to spend with me! If nothing else, that should make you super happy. :D
ReplyDelete